Yoo Jin Cheong
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Sylvia Cheong grew up in Minnesota, Minneapolis; Seoul, South Korea; and Toronto, Canada. Sylvia earned her Bachelor of Advanced Science degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Toronto and attended Handong International Law School in South Korea where she received her first law degree. Sylvia then attended the University of Toronto School of Law where she focused her studies on intellectual property, entertainment and gender law and received her LLM degree. Sylvia went on to attend Fordham University School of Law in New York, where she received her Juris Doctor.
While in Fordham Law, Sylvia was a staff member of the Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal and a Student Attorney with the Samuelson-Glushko Intellectual Property and Information Law Clinic where she advocated to find the balance between the right holder of the fruit of creativity and the right of the public to access information and art. Sylvia also served as a member of the Executive Board of the Fashion Law Society.
Prior to attending Fordham Law and joining Ace Law Group, Sylvia practiced real estate law in Toronto, Canada.
Sylvia is a strong advocate of social justice. Sylvia, as an Asian woman, has experienced racial and gender discrimination. While everybody's experience may be different, she understands the feeling of helplessness and anxiety that her clients may feel to be in a certain situation. Sylvia's goal is to assist her clients receive fair and equitable access to justice and make the litigation process for them as simple and easy as possible.
Areas of Practice
• Employment Discrimination
• Personal Injury
• Extensive knowledge, education, and training in Intellectual Property, Fashion and Social Justice as:
o A Research Assistant to Professor Catherine Powell at Fordham Law - re Section 230 and Social Justice
o A Research Assistant to Professor Angie Byun at Fordham Law, the CEO of AB WORLD - a global consultancy representing leading U.S., Asian and international media, entertainment, and lifestyle companies with a strong focus on maximizing intellectual property assets
o A Student Attorney with the Samuelson-Glushko Intellectual Property and Information Law Clinic
o An Intern for Tuff City Records, a local record label in New York
o An Intern for Fresh, Inc., a beauty care company
- Fordham University School of Law, New York, New York
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: Samuelson Glushko Intellectual Property and Information Law Clinic
- Honors: Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Law Journal
- Honors: Ruth Whitehead Whaley Scholar
- Honors: Fashion Law Society, Executive Board
- University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, Toronto, Ontario
- LL.M., Master of Laws
- Honors: Graduate Law Students Association, Member at Large
- Handong International Law School, Pohang, South Korea
- Master of Law (LLM)
- University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (BASc)
- Honors: Korean Engineering Students Association, Vice President
- Major: Civil Engineering
Pro Bono Activities
- Korean Canadian Lawyers Association, Director/Secretary, 2016 to 2019
- Pro Bono Ontario, Volunteer Lawyer, 2015 to 2017
- Autism in Mind Children’s Charity, Executive Member, 2011 to 2014
- Copyright Issues in a Slot Machine: A Case Analysis of Eclipse Gaming Systems, LLC v. Antonucci, 24 Gaming L. Rev. 99, 156 (2020)
- “‘Bish’ Stole My Look!”: Looking at Cultural Appropriation in Hip Hop Through Jesse Belvin, Dapper Dan, and Jay Park, [email protected] IPLJ.