While accidents occur every day, nothing is more heartbreaking than a preventable
accident that takes an innocent person's life. If you lost a spouse,
a child, or other loved one in a horrible accident, we urge you to contact
Ace Law Group as soon as possible for legal support.
When you are dealing with a serious loss, you must retain the best legal
counsel around. Our award-winning Las Vegas personal injury attorneys
have received the
Avvo Clients' Choice Award for 2013 and 2014, and Attorney Kang is a member of
The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits in Nevada
In Nevada, a wrongful death claim is a civil remedy available when the
intentional, reckless, or negligent conduct of an individual causes the
death of another human being. A wrongful death claim is filed on behalf
of the victim who lost their life and are usually filed by the victim's
spouse or close family members, but under certain circumstances others
can file as well.
Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?
- Nevada law allows the following parties to file a wrongful death lawsuit:
- The children of the deceased person
- The surviving spouse or domestic partner
- The personal representative of the decedent's estate
- The parents of the deceased person, if there is no surviving spouse or children
Under Nevada law, a wrongful death claim must be filed within two years
of the date of the decedent's death. If a wrongful death claim is
not filed within this statute of limitation, the defendant will likely
file a motion to dismiss the case and the court will grant the request.
What types of damages are available?
- The following types of damages are available in a Nevada wrongful death claim:
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of benefits to heirs
- Funeral & burial expenses
- Medical expenses on behalf of the deceased
- Property damage incurred from the accident
- Punitive damages (in special circumstances)
- Lost wages and benefits, including those that the deceased would have been
expected to earn if he or she had survived
Contact a Las Vegas Wrongful DeathLawyer
If you lost a love one as a result of an
automobile accident, medical malpractice, or due to another cause, please contact Ace Law
Group for professional legal advice. In a
free case evaluation, we will go over the details of your case and fully explain your legal options.